How complicated is Olympic logistics?

What is Olympic logistics?

Olympic Logistics is a physical flow process that consists of basic logistics activities such as transportation, storage, packaging, loading and unloading, distribution, distribution processing, and information processing, and is related to hosting the Olympic Games from the supply location to the receiving location.

How complex and difficult is the demand for Olympic logistics?

As the world’s largest sports event, the Olympic Games has more athletes and spectators than any other sports event, which has caused huge logistics demand. Taking the equipment required for the competition as an example, its number far exceeds that of other competitions, which is a big problem for the logistics system of the host city. Take the 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil as an example. The Olympic Games will use 32,000 table tennis balls, 400 soccer balls, 8400 badminton balls, 250 golf carts, 54 boats, 80,000 chairs, 70,000 tables, 29,000 mattresses, and 60,000 hangers. , 6000 TV sets and 10000 smartphones.

Four major problems of Olympic logistics

1. Concentration

During the Olympics, venues such as Olympic competition venues, Olympic villages, and news centers were distributed in a concentrated manner. According to data from previous Olympics, during the opening and closing ceremonies of the general Olympics, athletes, spectators, journalists, venue equipment, and news equipment will be more concentrated in space. Fully considering the concentration problems of Olympic logistics, when planning the logistics system, it is necessary to rationally allocate logistics resources in space, which can not only reduce logistics costs, but also meet the logistics demand relationship.

2. Uncertainty

Olympic logistics demand has great uncertainty. It is difficult for logistics managers to make logistics work plans. Not only must they master the basic planning methods and capabilities, but the most important thing is to fully consider the various situations of plan failure. During the general Olympics, 40% of the storage space is used to store all competition equipment, and the remaining 60% is used to store unknown items. Due to the uncertainty of demand, logistics managers must constantly redesign the placement of warehouse items to adapt to new storage needs.

3. Security

Due to the peculiarity of the Olympic Games, the objects of the Olympic logistics demand-competition equipment, news equipment, living materials, etc. in the event logistics are almost all key items, requiring a high degree of security.
At the Atlanta Olympics, 85% of the sports equipment came from abroad. Due to the great distance between the place of production and the place of consumption, once these sports equipment is damaged, it is difficult to quickly find alternatives, which will inevitably affect the competition as scheduled. High-tech products such as computers and radio broadcast equipment are of high value and involve information confidentiality. They also require a high degree of security and require the use of bar code recording and tracking.

4. Staged

The Olympic logistics system is phased in time and can generally be divided into establishment, resupply and recovery. During the establishment phase, the logistics personnel’s work is relatively busy. The venue logistics manager controls the order processing, submits the equipment and equipment orders to the Olympic main warehouse, and sets up the transportation schedule; the re-supply phase occurs during the Olympic Games. The logistics activities are mainly to re-enter some For consumer goods, the workload of the staff is very small; the recovery phase takes place after the Olympic Games and is the busiest of the three phases. The recovery phase needs to return all the facilities and equipment transported from the Olympic main warehouse.

“Our biggest challenge is to plan and implement all warehouse processes and procedures. We must be foolproof. Although no one pays attention to us, I am responsible for my The team is proud. “

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s