Since a few sessions we thought about the design of a production factory. During the last decades a lot of clever people did that, and the kind of flow inside a factory changed consequently a lot.
It exist three main types of assembly line concepts in the industry:
- Serpentines (used during the 70-80s)
- Traditional concept
- High pace
- Used in many plants: For example at BMW in Dingolfing
2. The PLUS (used in the 90s)
- Improved logistics through better integration of suppliers
- Used for example in the Daimler/Smart factory in Hambach
3. COMB (used since the 00’s)
- Direct logistical supply via cross-docks
- Typical with enhanced convoying system
- Used for example in the BMW factory in Leipzig
This developments let to a increasing efficiency and productivity and shows that in this field a low of changes happened recently. And there is probably still a way to go.