I decided write about my one slide subject because i think it is very interesting and there are a lot of cases of implementation.
In 1990, most of the companies did not know the meaning of 5 S , but in this 2001, 5s is part of the vocabulary of any TQM scholar, manager, consultant or practitioner.
The reason for this 5S growing practice in Mexico has different causes:
1) Japanese consultants in Mexico promoting this technique.
2)Mexican professionals that graduated from a Japanese university( Masters, degree or PhD) consultants and executives been trained by Japanese agencies (JUSE, JIPM, AOTS, JICa, LATEC) promoting with clients, at universities or inside their companies.
3) Incorporation of the 5S as a main phase and sstrategy in the TQM implementation model for competiveness.
4) Successful application of the technique with quantitive benefits being obtained by the companies and institutions.
As any organization or country, the succes depends mainly on the commitment and leadership of top and middle management.
Many of the implementation failures are caused by:
1) 5S program is implemente as a motivational and attitude change movement using only posters and slogans ( no plan support structure)
2)No investment in the 5S program
3) People do not understand the objective, target, strategies ti deploy and personale role in the program (from top management to line workers)
4) Top and middle management believe it is a program for the workers and do not participate or support it.
5) The 5S program starts at the operation line level as a bottom-up strategy without the support of top management.
6)The 5S program strats as a ¨Top down¨ strategy with a small group of experts doing the whole job without integrating all the personnel of the organization.
7)Do it because other are doing it